I had such a hankering for a brownie. The last time I had had a brownie, I was pregnant with Laurelyn. She’s now one.
There’s just something wrong with that.
So, I browsed my brownie pins and discovered that I have 40. 40 brownie recipes. And I’ve only tried 1. That’s just perpetuating the Pinterest stereotype right there. I will have none of that.
I chose to try the one from Show Me the Yummy, mostly because it didn’t require melting chocolate. I’m lazy like that. They may get their chocolate flavor from cocoa powder, but trust me–these babies were still ooey-gooey.
Dry brownies are the worst. I will straight up throw away an entire batch of brownies if they come out even a little dry. Needless to say, I did not have to throw these out.
I did however have to make some peanut butter frosting to go on top of them. Because what’s chocolate without peanut butter?
The frosting is my own recipe.
- 1 1/3 cups of smooth peanut butter (Not the natural kind, because it’s too grainy. Use the good stuff with the added sugar. I mean, you’re making frosting for goodness sake, so what’s a little more sugar?)
- 2/3 cup of vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Mix the peanut butter and shortening until completely smooth. This will take F O R E V E R, but please be patient and don’t add any powdered sugar until all the lumps are gone. Trust me–it’ll be worth it in the end.
- Once it’s completely smooth, add 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and remaining cup of sifted powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
Once the brownies are cool, top them with the ultra smooth, creamy frosting you just made (assuming you didn’t already take a spoon to it already).
The rich, dark gooey chocolate marries perfectly with the smooth, sweet peanut frosting. Absolutely divine. My only regret is that I didn’t make a second batch.
And yes, my diet is going splendidly, thank you for asking.